How long will it take to get used to my hearing aid?

Different people take different amounts of time to get used to their hearing aids. To get the best from your device it is beneficial to wear it as much as possible, ideally first thing in the morning until last thing in the evening.

Is there anywhere that I CANT wear my hearing aid/s?

  • Hearing aids don’t like water so need to be removed prior to bathing, swimming, hairdressers etc.
  • If you encounter heavy rainfall try to wear a hood or hat, or use an umbrella if possible.
  • If your hearing aid does get wet, take out the battery, shake off excess water, leave hearing aid in a warm dry place overnight, if you still have problems contact the department.

How long will a battery last?

Batteries generally last between 10-14 days, there will be exceptions to the rule. (in most cases You will hear a beeping sound to let you know that the battery needs changing)

Where do I get my batteries from?

  • Batteries are available from Chesterfield Roya lHospital reception desk without appointment.
  • Also local health centres stock supplies of batteries; your audiologist will inform you of your nearest centre.
  • Batteries can be obtained by post by sending a stamped addressed envelope (large packet) with your details to the address above.
  • You will always need to produce your record book/battery card when obtaining batteries.

Can someone collect batteries on my behalf?

Yes, ask them to bring your battery card/book with them.

How often do I need to come back?

We advise getting your ear mould retubed every 4-6 months. You will need to ring Chesterfield Royal Hospital for this.

How do I clean my hearing aid?

Please see your hearing aid booklet for details.

  • You can use unscented baby wipes to clean the ear mould,
  • Any wax in the end of the tubing can be cleaned with a pin or paperclip (you can purchase inter-dental brushes from your local pharmacy which work well)
  • If you have problems doing this, staff will be pleased to show you (Existing patients can contact Audiology at Chesterfield Royal Hospital for an appointment).

What do I do if my hearing changes?

If your hearing changes suddenly, contact your GP, if you feel the hearing is getting worse over time please contact the Audiology department, we will check your ears and your hearing aid, then advise you appropriately.

How do I use the telephone?

Telephones vary a lot, generally we advice you to hold the telephone receiver above your hearing aid, rather than holding directly over your ear. We do have further information regarding telephones and help available if you should need it.

I have started having noises in my ears (or head) that are bothering me. What should I do?

Visit your GP who will be able to refer you to Chesterfield Royal Hospital ENT (ear nose and throat) department, sometimes this referral will be known as a 'one stop tinnitus' appointment, you will be seen by a doctor, have a hearing test then be helped accordingly by a specialist Audiologist dealing with tinnitus, who will give you help and advice regarding the management of the tinnitus.

I have recently had problems with dizziness/balance/unsteadiness, this is worrying me, what should I do?

Visit your GP for initial advice, they may then refer you to the ENT (ear nose and throat department) at Chesterfield Royal Hospital for an assessment of your balance symptoms and hearing. You may then be referred to see a Specialist Audiologist who will devise an individual plan for management of the problem.