The Vulnerable Children and Young Peoples Team is made up of the following services:
Derbyshire Children in Care Team
A team of Doctors, Nurses and Administration Staff addressing and coordinating the health services for Children and Young People who are in care.
Our team co-ordinate the health care of Children in Care and Care Leavers by working in partnership with other professionals and agencies, to enable each child and young person to be as healthy as possible and have the ability to reach their full potential throughout their life
Why a dedicated team?
Children and Young People in Care share many of the same health risks and problems as their peers, but often to a greater degree. They often enter care with a worse level of health than their peers in part due to the impact of poverty, abuse and neglect.
Statutory Guidance on Promoting the Health and Wellbeing of Looked After Children D O H (2009)
What we do
- Carry out statutory Health Assessments
- Provide Individual Health Care Plans outlining actions
- Provide a Named Nurse for every child and young person in care
- Promote and encourage healthy lifestyle options
- Offer healthcare advice and support to children, young people and their carers
- Refer to other agencies as indicated
- Liaise closely and provide advice to Social Care and other health professionals
- Offer medical and health advice to Adoption and Fostering
- Panels to inform around decision making
- Provide a Named Nurse to Local Authority/Private Residential Children's Homes
- Provide a Health History Summary for every child and young person leaving care.
- Work closely with the Designated Professionals for Children in
- Care to help influence strategic direction to develop health services and improve outcomes for Children in Care
Tel: 01246 868868
Dr Agnes Lakner
Consultant Paediatrician/Designated Doctor for Children in Care
Tel: 01246 512524
Safeguarding Children and Children in Care
Tel: 01246 514380
Tel: 01246 868868