Under the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the right to access information held about you within health records which is held by Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and this is known as a Subject Access Request.

A health record contains details about your mental and physical health that have been recorded by a healthcare professional as part of your care and treatment.

If you want to see your health records, you don't have to explain why.

Law Firms

Please note that there is a separate application process for access to health records from:

  • Solicitors / Legal Firms
  • Police forces
  • Ambulance services
  • Other professional organisations

If you are wishing to access health records on behalf of a patient from the above organisations, you need to contact the Patient Records Data Office (“PRDO”) on 01246 513 262 or at crhft.prdo@nhs.net. Alternatively, you can write to:

Patient Records Data Office 
Chesterfield Royal Hospital
S44 5BL

If you are a Law firm requesting copies of medical records - please direct your application to crhft.prdo@nhs.net.

If you are a member of the public who would like copies of medical records – please direct your application to crhft.access@nhs.net.

How can I apply to access my health records?

You can make a request in a number of ways - you can e-mail, write or telephone us. To ensure that we can locate the correct records you require, we ask that you complete an application form. This application form can be e-mailed or posted to you or it can be downloaded here:

If you are unable to access the link above, please contact us to request an application form by e-mail to crhft.access@nhs.net or by writing to:

Access to Healthcare Records Coordinator
Clinical Standards and Governance Directorate
Chesterfield Royal Hospital
S44 5BL

Please mark your envelope: Access to Health Records

Do I need to provide proof of identity / address?

Yes, this is extremely important. We are obliged to confirm the identity of any person making a request for access to health records and our deadline to disclose health records does not begin until we receive these documents (and potentially further documents - i.e. if you are applying on behalf of a child / deceased person).

What are the timescales?

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, we have a calendar month from the day after receiving all documentation (please see section above) and this is known as the relevant time. The calendar month will end on the same date in the following month. If there isn’t a corresponding date in the following month, then the disclosure date reverts to the last day of the following month. If this date falls a bank holiday or a weekend then the disclosure date is moved to the next working day.

If your request is deemed as being ‘complex’, then under the Data Protection Act 2018 we are enabled to extend the disclosure date by another two months (i.e. three months in total). If your request is deemed as ‘complex’, then we shall let you know as soon as possible and in any event, within the first 28 days.

The Trust will decide if your request should be approved. They can refuse your request if, for example, they believe that releasing the information may cause serious harm to your physical or mental health or that of another person.

Will it cost me anything?

In the majority of cases there will not be a fee, however under the Data Protection Act 2018, if your request is deemed to be ‘excessive’, then we are able to charge a fee. An example of an ‘excessive’ request is a request which is identical to a request which was provided previously. We would contact you and request a fee and the relevant time would not begin until we received the fee.

Can someone else access my health records?

Another person, such as a solicitor/legal representation can only access your health records if you authorise them to do so. For more information, see Can I access someone else’s health records?

Can I see the health records of someone who has died?

Certain persons can access the health records of a deceased person and this is pursuant to the Access to Health Records Act (1990). Our application form and information for patients leaflet explains the circumstances in detail and for further information, please see: Can I access the medical records (health records) of someone who has died?

Can I see other information that includes details about me - such as letters, e-mails, minutes, phone records?

You can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) about any information held about you.  If you want to do this - just follow the same instructions noted above and your request will be passed on to the appropriate person.

 For further information, please see our ‘Information for Patients - Access to Health Records’ leaflet, which can be accessed below.