About adverts

How to access information about YOU

If you want to view any information that we hold about you, such as your health records, you don’t always need to make a formal application. For example, nothing in the law prevents healthcare professionals from showing you your own records on an informal basis, during a consultation.

Please note that if you are a solicitor looking to access records on behalf of a client then the number to call is 01246 513262 and the postal address is...
Patient Records Data Office, 
Chesterfield Royal Hospital
S44 5BL

Can I make a formal request to see my records and do I have to say why I want them?

Yes. You also have a legal right to apply for access to the health information held about you. Under the Data Protection Act/General Data Protection Regulations you can formally ask to see information including any NHS or private health records that may be held by a GP, optician or dentist, or by a hospital.

A health record contains details about your mental and physical health that have been recorded by a healthcare professional as part of your care and treatment.

If you want to see your health records, you don't have to explain why.

Applying for access to your health records

Submit your request in writing or by email. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).

In writing:

Include your full name, address, date of birth and hospital or NHS number. You may also find it helpful to include the date of the records you wish to access (for example ‘I would like to see records from the orthopaedic operation that I had in 2012’). Send your request to:

Access to Healthcare Records Co-Ordinator
Clinical Standards and Governance
Patient Safety Department
Chesterfield Royal Hospital
S44 5BL

Mark your envelope: SAR

By email:

Your can email from this page by clicking here

What happens then?

The Trust will decide if your request should be approved. They can refuse your request if, for example, they believe that releasing the information may cause serious harm to your physical or mental health or that of another person.

In order to protect patients' confidentiality, we have to undertake further checks to confirm identity to avoid the risk of releasing confidential documentation to unauthorised persons. We have a local Trust form that we ask to be completed whenever we receive a request, please click here to access that form.

How long will I wait?

Under the Data Protection Act/ General Data Protection Regulation, requests for access to records should be met within 1 month (but can be extended by another 2 months if excessive). However, government guidance for healthcare organisations says they should aim to respond within 21 days. The hospital will do its best to respond to your request within this deadline.

Will it cost me anything?

In most cases there will not be a fee, however this depends on how the information is stored. For example, it may cost more money to provide you with manual records or film x-rays or if the records you want go back a number of years. If we have recently provided you with information there may also be a fee if you ask that we resend you this information.

We will contact you and let you know if a fee applies.

Can someone else access my health records?

Another person, such as a solicitor/legal representation can only access your health records if you authorise them to do so. For more information, see Can I access someone else’s health records?

Can I see the health records of someone who has died?

If you want to view the health records of a deceased person, under the Access to Health Records Act (1990) you can apply in writing to the record holder. For more information, see Can I access the medical records (health records) of someone who has died?

Can I see other information that includes details about me - such as letters, e-mails, minutes, phone records?

You can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) about any information held about you.  If you want to do this - just follow the same instructions noted above and your request will be passed on to the appropriate person.